Several companies and international organisations have developed Process Safety Fundamentals (PSFs) to visualise and summarise the key concepts associated with Process Safety. These can be operationalised into playing cards as shown below:
The International Association of Oil & Gas Producers (IOGP) have developed a set which is documented in their report 638 (click the image below to access this report).
For guidance on the individual elements, please click on the appropriate icon below:
The following elements are considered as Potential additional PSFs:
Other potential PSFs include (but are not limited to):
- We attend to open drains and critical transfers.
- We use at least two independent barriers for pressure containment and material process flow.
- We control utility systems connected to a process.
- We check the absence of an explosive atmosphere in the furnace before igniting the burners.
- We stay out of the Line of Fire.
- We avoid splash loading.
- We remove non-essential workers from hazards.
For more information on our Process Safety Fundamentals cards please contact us.