- We use operating and maintenance procedures, even if we are familiar with the task.
- We discuss the key steps within a critical procedure before starting it.
- We pause before key steps and check readiness to progress.
- We stop, inform supervision and avoid workarounds if procedures are missing, unclear, unsafe, or cannot be followed.
- We take time to become familiar with, and practice, emergency procedures.
Tips for Managers:
- Verify that procedures are up-to-date, effective, and easy to use.
- Follow up if concerns about a procedure are raised.
- Ensure that personnel have time to become familiar with the plant, its equipment, and its procedures.
- Discuss Emergency Response procedures with front-line staff during site visits.
This page only summarises the guidance – refer to the IOGP report and/or IOGP website for further information.
For more information on our Process Safety Fundamentals (or other) playing cards please contact us.