- We discuss and use the approved operating limits for our location.
- We escalate where we cannot work within operating limits.
- We alert supervision if an alarm response action is unclear or the time to respond is inadequate.
- We obtain formal approval before changing operating limits.
- We confirm that potential for overpressure from temporary pressure sources has been addressed.
Tips for Managers:
- Establish and document safe operating limits for key process variables and make them visible to front-line workers.
- Regularly check that personnel have the necessary skills and knowledge to stay within operating limits.
- Systematically investigate excursions outside operating limits.
- Demonstrate through decisions that cost, production or schedule does not override safety
This page only summarises the guidance – refer to the IOGP report and/or IOGP website for further information.
For more information on our Process Safety Fundamentals (or other) playing cards please contact us.