Hazardous reactions and releases or equipment damage can be caused when safe operating limits are exceeded.
- Deviations from normal operation.
- Transient operations, batch process , start-up / shut-down.
- At design changes.
Challenges in the Field
- Limits not well known or identified.
- MOC process not followed.
- Pushing production.
Options to Get it Right
- Establish safe operating limits for key process variables and for all operating phases, and make them visible for operators.
- Validate that instruments are working well.
- Understand the critical process parameters that can result in equipment damage and loss of containment due to deviations.
- Install alarms and interlocks for critical process variables.
- Define actions to bring the process variable back within the operation limit.
- Report and discuss the cause when operating limits are exceeded.
- Understand the chemical hazards at non-standard conditions and have a chemical compatibility matrix available.
This page only summarises the guidance – refer to the EPSC website for further information.
For more information on our Process Safety Fundamentals (or other) playing cards please contact us.