This is an extract of the supporting information & guidance cards from the IOGP Process Safety Fundamentals documented in their Report 638.
- We discuss the purpose of hardware and human barriers at our location.
- We evaluate how our tasks could impact process safety barriers.
- We speak up when barriers don’t feel adequate.
- We perform our roles in maintaining barrier health and alert supervision to our concerns.
- We use an approval process for operations with degraded barriers.
Tips for Managers:
- Provide tools (e.g., bowties) to enable front-line workers to understand and visualise the process safety barriers at their location.
- Discuss process safety barriers with front-line workers during site visits.
- Ensure that systematic barrier management processes are in place and that necessary resources are allocated to test and maintain barriers.
- Implement approved risk reduction measures for degraded or failed barriers and restore barrier functionality as soon as practical.
This page only summarises the guidance – refer to the IOGP report and/or IOGP website for further information.
For more information on our Process Safety Fundamentals (or other) playing cards please contact us.